Daily records 22 Feb 2018

I’m going to try and post 5 days per week. I have a lot going on and while I like arranging tutorials and junk, it takes this novice too much time. Plus, so much is going on, I just need to record it!

Yesterday we went to the local library for a homeschool science class. Hunter loved it and the littles love the train set. Then I dropped him off at the elementary school for an afterschool gardening club he signed up for earlier in the school year, when he still attended classes there. He brought home a paperwhite bulb in a clear plastic cup and is monitoring it’s water level hourly. I took Helaman to work for the dinner rush and the rest of us went to the church for Scouts and youth groups.

While at the library, I saw a display about Baden-Powell, the BSA founder. His birthday is Feb 22, so I decided we’d celebrate with a food treat. I’m not one of those teachers that brings food regularly, but I managed to make cookies from pre-made dough. The youth group held a lip-synch contest and the kids loved participating.

Overall, work is going great! I love getting out of my house and getting paid. It has been a little rough on Josh and the kids, but we’re all adapting. I went from part-time to full-time about a week ago, since we lost two closers and an assistant manager. They’re actually offering $100 to any employee who refers a friend who then works for 90 days. I don’t think I’ll have any takers among my friends, but they just don’t know what they’re missing out on. I’m encouraging Helaman to switch employers to my fast food joint because his pizza joint keeps sending him home early. It’s ridiculous to block out 4 hours of your night and then spend only 2 hours before getting sent home. He says he’d feel bad for leaving his employer. He’s loyal. Maybe I should offer him half the reward money because we need the help.

pexels-photo-479851.jpegAs a side note, I’m relieved to learn that dishwashing hasn’t destroyed my hands. I have a skin condition called ichthyosis, which means my hands are always dry and look like cracked riverbeds during the the dry deason (see above photo). Apparently the fast food combination of salt, fat, detergent, and sanitizer is as good as a day in the spa!  My skin is moist and for the first time ever I’m going to have to care for my cuticles because they’re no longer flaking off. I do miss painting my fingernails, but there’s not much there to work with anymore. I’ll take the trade-off.

The little girls seem to have gotten the memo that mom is working nights because when I started on Jan 15, they regularly slept in until 10:00. It was perfect! Now they’re getting up around 8:00 to 8:30 a.m. It’s killing me!  I get up with my big kids at 6:00 a.m., then again with Sophia at 7:00 or 7:30 a.m. I drive her to the bus stop when the weather is bad and then I go back to bed. This morning I actually drove Soph to school (15 minutes each way) for her elite band rehearsal before school. I got back around 8:00 a.m. and settled into bed to catch a little more sleep. Josh was extra tired, too – I think he stayed up late watching the American Women’s Hockey Team win the Olympic gold medal. Whatever the reason, he and I were trying to hide in our bed while Rosie and Jules sought us out. We tried to get them to watch a show on the Roku downstairs, but the internet was acting up, so there was a lot of intermittent nodding off between diapering and serving their breakfasts and endless cups of chocolate milk.

I finally emerged from bed around 11:00 a.m. Hunter did his homeschool paperwork and learned to make mac n cheese. Rosalyn got her reading lesson in from Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (her story today was “that ram is sad”). Meredith had a sudden sport physical so she can turn in all her paperwork by tomorrow for track. She’s planning to run hurdles again, which is a bold move after tripping over a few hurdles last year. Mer’s a bold one, so she’s up for it! This is the first year the middle school is going to cut kids from track and field. I hope Mer gets the hang of the hurdles quickly this year! Anyway, I picked her up from school and ran her over to the pediatrician’s office and grabbed a few grocery items at my local warehouse club before heading home to change into my work uniform.

Josh took Helaman and Liv to the community college for Speech class tonight and they stopped by work around 8:00 p.m. We were too busy for me to take a break and visit with them, but I asked how school was and it sounds like the community college classmates didn’t disappoint. The stories Liv tells are hilarious! I can’t wait to hear the next installment.

I got home from work around 1:00 a.m. and threw my uniform in the wash. Next, I made some dry biscuit dough. I’ll add the milk in the morning and have hot biscuits in about 15 minutes. I also sliced and sugared strawberries to fashion strawberry shortcake for breakfast. I’m not sure about serving it with ice cream; it seems a bit heavy-handed at 6:00 a.m. Anyway, the way the kids like to gobble up cereal, I’m trying to make other breakfast delights and keep boxed cereal at a minimum. I think they’ll be pleased with tomorrow’s selection.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *